Theory Training for Career Development Practitioners
This training meets the course requirements for certification by the Career Development Board of Ontario.
This course provides an introduction to and overview of some of the major schools of thought in career development and transition theories. It is not a comprehensive course in the theories used in career development practice and transition theories, but will provide a foundation/framework for practitioners to use when interacting with clients.
Goal of Training
The goal of the course is to equip career development practitioners with knowledge of theories that can be applied to many different interventions used with clients of all ages and backgrounds. The knowledge and practice will provide a framework for both the practitioner and client to have a deeper understanding of clients’ life journeys, transitions and choices made or to be made.
What You Learn
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe some of the main theories of career development.
- Describe some of the main theories of transition and change.
- Demonstrate application of theoretical models to actual case studies and where applicable integrate components of different theories to one case study.
- Articulate how knowledge of career and transition theories will be relevant and applicable to their work.
What to Expect
This course takes place over over 2 full days (9am – 5pm) plus some requirements to be completed outside of the training days. Total hours for pre-, post and classroom learning will be a minimum of 20 hours. Specific activities will include :
- roughly 4-6 hours of pre-reading materials
- lecture style presentations using PowerPoint presentations
- large and small group discussions
- in-class, multiple choice exam
- post-training, case study, written assignment
I took this training as part of my requirements for certification as a professional, career development practitioner. Not only was the training itself fun and informative, but it has (unexpectedly) become something I use on a day to day basis as an employment counselor. It has made me better at what I do and my clients have definitely benefited.
Open classes are offered in Toronto on a quarterly basis and upon request across the province. Click HERE for upcoming sessions.
maximum of 24 participants
Hosted classes are offered upon request, anywhere in the province. Click HERE to contact us about bringing a hosted class to your area.
These fees include:
- pre-reading materials (provided in soft copy to participants 10 business days in advance of training)
- delivery of face-to-face, on-site training
- course handouts
- test materials (i.e., quizzes, exam)
- final certificates for successful participants
Pricing does not include any catering costs. Travel and accommodation costs for the facilitator are also billed (on a cost recovery basis) separately.